Thursday, January 28, 2010

Insert Winter Storm Cliche Here

To say I’ve been slightly obsessed with Epic Storm ‘10 the past few days is probably a gross understatement. And it’s totally a new thing for me.

I’ve never been wigged out by winter storms before, and we’ve had our fair share of southern winter storms around here. I say “southern winter storms” because those of you in the northern states would laugh at our idea of a winter storm. Scoff, even. And just as I predicted, on the news last night they were at a grocery store where bottled water, bread, milk, and strawberry Pop-Tarts were scarce. Apparently southerners appreciate some strawberry Pop-Tarts when it snows.

But as I’ve said before, I should’ve been a Boy Scout because I like to always be prepared. For anything. And we weren’t caught totally off guard last year. We were fine, especially since after about 24 hours without power we headed over to Mom & Dad’s where there was electricity. And there were lots of people who were without power for much longer than us – weeks, even. Again, we were fine. M3 even trudged his way up through what was left of the ice and snow to visit the next weekend.

But with the ever-changing forecast over the last few days, I’ve been on edge. And you know me, I have to analyze it until I figure out why. Want to guess what I came up with?

Control.

Actually, lack thereof.

We were always taught to be ready for everything, to be able to handle whatever came at us and do our best to take care of ourselves and others. And when I feel like I can’t take care of myself (because if we lose power for more than about 24 hours, you could hang meat in the living room and be within the proper temperature range) it makes me nervous.

But really what I must do is depend on the One who IS in control. Because it’s HIS job to be in charge, not mine. (Though sometimes I think I’d like to give it a shot.) His plans are always better than mine, even when I don’t quite understand the process.

That’s not to say I can’t do my part. I have to be responsible. I have to prepare the best I can. I have to be ready to help others. And then depend on the Lord to carry us through.

So I’ve done everything I can. We have water. I’ve bought food. I’ve filled the propane tank for the grill. I bought batteries. Do I have batteries! And the portable DVD player is charged. Because the 6 hours that thing will play during a power outage will be like heaven to a bored 2 year-old and his Momma.

And I might even go out today and see if I can find some Pop-Tarts, just for good measure. I’d hate to miss out.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:54 AM

    I'll be thinking about y'all this weekend while it's 70 down here.

    M3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curly5:08 PM

    I was at Wal-Mart last night... they were all but out of CHEESE!

    CHEESE. We're gonna be iced in, better get some cheese...

    Weird people!

    ReplyDelete