Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Works-For-Me-Wednesday: Ayr

It's been a while since I contributed to WFMW, mainly because I was lazy. And because Shannon had a theme week in which I didn't feel as though I had anything of value to contribute to. (It was about keeping your kids busy during summer. Not an issue for me yet.)

Anyway, I'm back. And what I've decided to share is one of those things that was an "Ah ha!" moment for me. And it all happened by accident.

Several months back, Chickster had a snotty nose attack. He had more snot than I knew what to do with, yet at the same time his nose would get all crusty and gross while he slept. Oh, the irony.

So, I had to pick up some saline stuff in order to do the most fun Mommy job in the world, and inside came a sample of a product called Ayr (pronounced 'air'). It is a saline / aloe vera gel used to keep your nose from getting dry and crusty.

Finally, somebody invented something to help that problem. I despise waking up with a nose that feels like it may rip apart at any second because of the nasty stuff that's dried while you were asleep. As if being sick wasn't bad enough, you have to endure that too. I was skeptical. I'd never seen or heard of this stuff before, but I tried it and it worked. At least for Chickster, anyway.

So, I have kept using it. Even though we don't have a snot problem right now, he still seems to get crusties at night, especially since I stopped using the humidifier. So, I smear some Ayr on Chickster's little nostrils before he goes to bed. And in the morning, no crusties.

Or at least they are significantly decreased to the point it doesn't cause me to go into convulsions at the grossness when I get him out of bed each morning.

I looked for it at Wal-Mart and didn't find it, so I had to get mine at Walgreens. I found it on the bottom shelf where all the nasal sprays and nose goop is located. There is a "baby" version, but it's really no different than the adult kind, so I bought the grown-up stuff.

It's a bit expensive for such a tiny tube, but it lasts a long time because a teeny little drop is all you need. I used the sample (that was so tiny it was positively miniscule) for over a month. I bought the regular size a few months back and the tube still looks like I've hardly used it.

I'm sure there are other reasons to use that gel, but it sure does work at keeping the crusties out of little boys' noses. And that's why it works for me. Head on over to Rocks In My Dryer for more WFMW gems. Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:13 AM

    Just when you think everything that could ever be invented has been invented......then comes along one such as this.....who would a thunk it....Thanks so much for sharing.

    robin@heartofwisdom.com
    http://www.heartofwisdom.com/heartathome/

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have an ointment called Little Noses, I used the spray too when mine were little. Basically just a vaseline base type gel. They are all so wonderful when their little noses get red and sore too! Glad you discovered this product!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! My DS has a perpetually runny nose. ANd he HATES me wiping it - especially when I have to scrape to get all the little crusties off! This should help curb some tantrums in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of such a miracle product! I find that a dab of vaseline works well too, but it can get kinda greasy. I'll have to give your stuff a try. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:00 PM

    I've never heard of it. Thanks for the great tip! I'll be sure to around for it in preparation of the next round of colds.

    ReplyDelete