Monday, March 25, 2013

Practice Patience and Pray the Dye Doesn’t Spill

Dyeing Easter Eggs is one of those nostalgic things. When you were a kid, you remember it being fun and magical and special. When in actuality, as an adult, you want it to be fun, but it’s an exercise in patience and constantly praying the dye doesn’t spill.

My poor, poor mother.

We dyed Easter Eggs this past weekend. Caedmon helped me prep the dye before naptime. I finally got smart and decided to let the tablets dissolve long before we were ready. Waiting for those things is torture.

_DSC0804

I tried baking the eggs this time instead of boiling them. It worked well, but the eggs ended up with brown spots on them. They washed off after the eggs cooled a bit, and didn’t make any difference to the dye. Also? No cracks. I’ve never boiled eggs without at least one of them cracking.

_DSC0808

It was an exercise in patience.

_DSC0813

I constantly prayed the dye wouldn’t spill.

_DSC0809

But I hope for the kids, it was fun.

_DSC0836

And magical.

_DSC0827

And special.

_DSC0830

Just like this face Caedmon for me.

_DSC0834

Afterwards, I let him mix the dye in the sink. I remember loving this. He didn’t quite use the same method I did.

_DSC0841

And I think he was a bit disappointed that all mixing leads to brown.

_DSC0843

Soon after, this egg became the first casualty.

_DSC0847

I’m sure the others won’t be far behind. It’s a good thing we hide the plastic kind!

What kind of eggs do you hide? Husband grew up hiding real eggs, but we always hid (candy stuffed!) plastic eggs. They’re much less stinky when you miss one.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes and yes! Last year was our first year dying eggs (oldest son was 3.5) and I realized it lost its "magic" as a parent! Oh well- at least the kids have fun, right? Looks like yours did for sure! Happy early Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I remember dying at least 2 dozen as a kid. Of course, there were 7 of us to divide the eggs between. Now I just keep wondering what I'm going to do with all of those eggs in the fridge. Ha!

      Happy Easter to you, too!

      Delete