Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Whirlwind Week

I last posted a week ago. And we’ve been there and back again since then. Literally.

Last Wednesday, we headed home for a quick visit and some business meetings for Husband. It sounds lovely, doesn’t it, getting to tag along on a business meeting trip and see family? It was. But it was not easy.

Wednesday morning, “all” I had to do was get the kids up, finish packing, load the car, take the dog to the kennel, and pick Husband up at his office by 10am. Easy, right? Riiiight.

We were actually moving along pretty well, and would’ve been ready to leave the house five minutes early. Until….

Until I sent Caedmon to go potty and Honor snuck up behind him and grabbed his shirt. Which necessitated the cleaning of the bathroom and a change of pants for Caedmon. I changed Honor’s shirt for good measure, but mostly because she was already soaked to the belly button from slobber.


We still made it to pick Husband up on time and hit the road. We made great time, and the kids did beautifully. Honor even slept for a little while. That all ended when we hit stand-still traffic due to a wreck. It took over an hour to go three miles. During which time, Honor cried, and of course, Caedmon had to go pee.  So what do you do when you’re in stand-still traffic and your boy has to pee? You take him to pee in the ditch, of course. And entertain the truck driver behind you.

We finally got out of the wreck traffic just in time to almost get caught in some crazy construction traffic. But we managed to go around that by possibly making a slightly illegal u-turn in the median just in time to maybe make it back to an exit so we could take a side road. Hypothetically. At which point, Honor continued to scream angrily. And we might’ve resorted to yelling along with her. Maybe.

All told, we managed to squeeze a 9 1/2 hour trip into 12. But it was worth it. We got there in time to let the kids run wild a bit before a late bedtime.

Thursday, we got to see a lot of friends. At the church, Sass let the kids feed the fish. (I have a great picture that I’ll upload when I can. My phone is being weird and won’t let me send it.)

At Mimi’s, they rode in the jeep. Honor was not about to get up out of the floorboard. I don’t think she had full confidence in her driver. I wonder why?


We got to visit with our friend Mrs. K while we were at Mimi’s. She brought us some fabulous paper cranes she made. I’m truly amazed at her talents. I don’t think there’s anything she can’t do. (Here’s Caedmon having breakfast with them after we got home.)


At Mom and Dad’s, the kids played with Q and E. They had a blast together, and had a great time in the toy car Dad acquired somewhere. Too bad there’s no charger for the battery. Those girls were ready to go!


Thursday night, it was family dinner. Minus NLB, Fidget, and Squirt, who were at their respective colleges.


Friday morning, Caedmon helped Dad clean out the horse trough.


And we went to play group. It was so good to see our friends. I completely forgot to take my camera and the phone camera didn’t even have a chance to come out. The kids had a blast with each other, and it was so good to catch up with friends.

Friday night, Dad built a fire, and he and Caedmon roasted a hot dog and s’mores.


Husband and I met Brandon and Jill at one of our favorite places for dinner.


That’s where things kind of went down hill for me. About 10pm Friday night, I succumbed to a stomach virus. It was not fun. At all. I spent the day Saturday trying to recover, and had to miss lunch with friends.

You always hear that Moms don’t get sick days. And it’s true. But let me tell you something. If you’ve gotta be sick, do it at your Mom’s house. Between her and Husband, everything was taken care of and all I had to do was…nothing. The kids played all day until about 5pm when the stomach virus struck Caedmon. Poor guy. He didn’t sleep well that night, as you can guess. Which means neither did I.

We got up early Sunday morning and headed back to Nashville. Caedmon carried along a bucket, just in case, but thankfully, we didn’t need it. We got to stop and have lunch with Nana and Poppy, and chilled in the rocking chairs at Cracker Barrel for a few minutes.

This time, we actually made the 9 1/2 hour trip in 9 1/2 hours. It was nice to visit and see everyone. And nice to get back. It took me until Tuesday to finally get back to normal. And I thought it was just because I am old, but apparently Caedmon has taken this long to get back to himself, too. That stomach virus was a mean one. So far, Husband and Honor have escaped it, and I hope it stays that way.

It was a big weekend and a busy week. It was also a big week for our house. I can’t wait to show you the next update!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment