Friday, July 27, 2012

Deep Thoughts From Caedmon

When running, did you know there’s a “bare-a-foot” speed and a shoe speed? I didn’t either, but Caedmon said so, so it must be true.

****

Caedmon and I were discussing what to have for lunch. He picked something, then changed his mind. I clarified, and asked if he was sure that’s what he wanted. His exasperated response was, “Mom, once a guy changes his mind, he doesn’t change it again.”

Good to know. And something I’ll hold you (and all guys) to until the end of time.

****

Caedmon woke up from a bad dream one night and asked me to come lay in his bed with him. Y’all know I’m not a middle-of-the-night talker. I grunt and nod. So, when we laid down together and he started chatting me up, I told him I thought we should be quiet and go to sleep. But then he started telling me about his dream so I felt like I should, you know, be the Mom and tell him dreams aren’t real and that Jesus is always with us and we don’t have to be afraid.

“But you can’t see Jesus.”

“No, we can’t. But that doesn’t mean he’s not here.”

“Will we see him when we get to Kevin (heaven)?” (No matter how hard I try, he insists it’s ‘kevin’ and not ‘heaven’.)

“Yes, we’ll get to see him, then.”

“Will it be night time in Kevin?”

“No, I don’t think there will be night time in Heaven.”

“So how will we sleep?”

“We won’t have to if we don’t want to.”

Silence. Whew. Ok, now maybe we can go back to sleep. Wrong.

“What happens to the earth when we go to Kevin?”

“Well…” (Remembering your end-of-time theology is quite a challenge when you’ve been drug from your bed and forced into a conversation with your four-year-old in the middle of the night.) “The Bible tells us that at one point, Jesus will make the earth new again and we’ll all live here with him.”

“For how long?”

“Forever.”

Silence. Deep thoughts for, you know, the middle of the night.

“But what will happen to the sun? And the moon? And the stars?”

“I don’t know.”

“Well, Jesus needs to figure that out.”

Yes, yes, he does. And with that, we were able to go back to sleep.

****

And I think this one needs no explanation:

“I sticked my tongue out so far, I was about to pick my nose.”

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. C would be pretty confused if he met my Dad and Brother. Both of their names are Kevin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! We actually do know a few people named Kevin! And we were watching Phineas & Ferb the other day and he goes, "Hey! That zebra called Candace 'Kevin'!" He thought it was hilarious. I have no idea why he really thinks that's the proper name for it.

      Delete