Monday, February 13, 2012

Chocolate Wasted

A little while back, I saw a recipe for Chocolate Wasted Cake on Pinterest from Art of Dessert. (And if you don’t know where “Chocolate Wasted” comes from, here’s a video clip.) I knew I wanted to try my own version, but I was waiting for just the right time. A game night with our Life Group seemed to be the right occasion. And apparently this cake has caused quite a ruckus. So I thought I’d share the “recipe,” as it were.

_DSC0136

First, I made a chocolate cake. And while many of you might prefer to use a scratch-recipe, I will confess that I usually don’t.

While the cake was cooling, I made Fluffy Chocolate Frosting.

(I didn’t want to use Chocolate Buttercream. I’m not a huge fan of Chocolate Buttercream unless it’s on a cake by itself. I also didn’t want the cake to be too heavy or rich. I know it sounds ridiculous, knowing the amount of chocolate I was going to be putting on this cake, but I wanted to be able to eat it and enjoy the chocolate, not choke on it. Does that make sense?)

_DSC0139

I frosted the cake and set it in the fridge for a bit for the frosting to firm up a bit.

Then, came the fun part. I smashed semi-sweet chocolate chips around the sides. And used bite-size Baby Ruth, Butterfinger, and Crunch bars on the top (I cut them into pieces first). Then, I used the last 1/3 cup or so of chocolate chips to melt and drizzle chocolate over the top.

_DSC0141

I made the cake a day ahead, for two reasons. First, and most importantly, I prefer to let the frosting sit overnight. I think it tastes better that way. Second, I didn’t want to have to worry about getting it done on Friday afternoon while I had other things on my To-Do list. Just being honest.

IMG_0441

I will admit that cutting into this monstrosity is a challenge. You can’t exactly cut through the giant chunks of chocolate on the top. So it’s not necessarily a “pretty” cake once it’s cut and on the plate. But that doesn’t keep it from tasting oh, so good.

_DSC0165 

You know you want some!

Chocolate Wasted Cake

1 Betty Crocker Devil’s Food cake mix, made with chocolate milk using Hershey’s Special Dark syrup instead of water; Baked in two layers.

Fluffy Chocolate Frosting:

2 sticks salted butter, room temperature

Scant 1/4 cup cocoa

1 tsp vanilla

4 cups powdered sugar

1 Tbsp milk

1 8oz tub Cool Whip (refrigerated, not frozen)

Beat room temperature butter until smooth and fluffy. Add cocoa and mix well. Mix in vanilla. 1 cup at a time, mix in powdered sugar. Frosting may be a bit dry and chunky. Add milk 1 tsp at a time until a smooth consistency is reached. Fold in Cool Whip.

Frost cooled cake, and refrigerate a little while to allow the frosting to set.

Semi-sweet chocolate chips – press onto the sides of the cake, reserving 1/3 cup for chocolate drizzle, if desired.

Candy bar pieces for top, cut into bite-size pieces: I used Baby Ruth, Butterfinger, and Crunch. Use your favorite! Pile them on the top of the cake.

Melt remaining chocolate chips and drizzle chocolate over the top of the cake.

Refrigerate leftovers – if there are any!

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Wow - this is on my "Must try" list. This might be the perfect birthday cake for ME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm...I wouldn't mind it being my birthday cake, either! Good choice!

      Delete