Monday, August 08, 2011

Dinner with Sticks = Awesome

Caedmon has been asking to use chopsticks. So because we are adventurous people, I thought maybe we should give it a shot.

I wanted to make things that were easy to pick up with the chopsticks, so our dinner didn’t include rice. Plus, we’d had it twice already that week. So I made potstickers and Orange Glazed Chicken & Veggies. The “orange” in “Orange Glazed” was no joke. It turned everything orange. Which looked really weird, but tasted pretty good. (Recipe below.)

_DSC0071

But first, I thought maybe I should figure out how to use chopsticks. Or at least find an easy way for Caedmon to use them. I found some fun things on Amazon that help kids learn to use chopsticks, but decided I didn’t want to spend the money or wait for them to arrive. I found a great idea on a blog that I decided to try, so I put a rubber band and the paper from the chopsticks wrapper to good use.

_DSC0065

_DSC0064

It worked fabulously and Caedmon had no trouble using the chopsticks at all.

_DSC0078

_DSC0079

I can’t necessarily say the same thing about myself, but I think I did pretty good for the first time I actually tried to use chopsticks. Husband was practiced from the year he spent in Japan and helped me figure the whole thing out.

_DSC0091

Honor didn’t get to use chopsticks, but instead enjoyed chewing on her burp cloth.

_DSC0087

Caedmon loved using the chopsticks and ate a great dinner. In fact, the next morning, he asked to use chopsticks to eat his yogurt. I think they will be my secret weapon to get him to eat dinner when he’s being a little stubborn. (I can’t imagine where he gets that.)

Orange Glazed Chicken & Veggies (Adapted from Lemon Chicken recipe from kraftfoods.com)

1 Tbsp oil

Chicken, cut into strips or chunks (whatever you prefer)

Mixed vegetables (I used a frozen “Asian” veggie mix)

1 pkg (4 serving size) orange flavored Jell-o

1 Tbsp cornstarch

1/2 cup chicken broth

2 Tbsp Zesty Italian Dressing

2 cloves garlic, minced

Heat oil on medium-high heat; add chicken and cook 4 minutes or until cooked through, stirring occasionally. Add veggies; cook and stir 2 minutes.

Mix dry Jell-o and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add broth, dressing, and garlic; stir until gelatin is dissolved. (Or put in a small bowl with a lid and shake until dissolved.) Add to skillet. Reduce heat to medium, cook 3 minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring frequently.

I didn’t have any cornstarch, so I think that’s why everything turned neon orange. I have used this with lemon Jell-o before and it was great with that, too. It’s definitely a quick and easy way to enjoy “Chinese takeout” at home!

Pin It

1 comment: