Wednesday, May 26, 2010

He Plays With Soul

As I’ve mentioned before, Caedmon thinks everyone has their own personal theme song. And once he gets a song stuck in his head for someone, that will be their song for life.

The other day, I was working in the office and had my iTunes on. I asked Caedmon if he wanted to hear Papa Duke’s song (Don’t Mess Around With Jim by Jim Croce). Of course, he said yes. And we proceeded to listen to it about 87 times. (Thank goodness for the “repeat” button.) He was totally getting down. And I had to share it with you.

And if you must know how this song became dubbed “Papa Duke’s song,” I’ll tell you. And if you don’t want to know, just skip to the end. And go ahead and hurt my feelings. I’m just kidding. I don’t care. Really.

We were driving to church one Sunday morning, when I turned the radio on. Caedmon’s fickle about his music, and he nearly had a hissy fit when he heard the tail end of the song that was playing. It went off in the middle of his fussing, and he didn’t hear the new song that came on, but I did. It was Don’t Mess Around with Jim. I told him to cool his jets and listen to this song, because it was one of Papa Duke’s favorites. He quickly got quiet and listened intently to the entire song. After it was over, he told me to play it again. I had no choice but to sing the chorus over and over until we got to church. Why the chorus? Who knows all the words to those verses? (Well, I do NOW, but that’s after listening to it 87 times in one day.) And so it continued. We sang the Papa Duke Song at bedtime and random other times throughout the day. I even showed him the video on Youtube, which he did NOT care for. Finally I downloaded it on iTunes and the rest is history.

Video Commentary:



1. Yes, he’s wearing his pajamas at 2 in the afternoon. It was a pajama day. Mainly because when I tried to change his clothes, he pitched a fit and I decided it wasn’t worth the fight.

2. He occasionally sings along, but only a word at the end of a phrase. Maybe he’ll be in a hip-hop band one day.

3. The guitar was necessary for proper jamming. He plays it left-handed, though I don’t think he’s really a lefty.

4. The boy gets into his guitar playing.

5. He really does wonder about his Papa Duke while the song is on.

6. He’d created a “castle” out of our office chairs. I was sitting in it with him during the last clip of the video. Apparently, he wanted me out.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment