Monday, March 08, 2010

Spring Is In The Air

I’m sure you’ve seen the effect of a coming spring before. The sun finally peeks out from behind the wintry clouds, the temperatures warm just enough to not need a coat, and the animals come out of hiding and maybe get a bit frisky. Because being cooped up all winter apparently causes some sort of energy explosion that, if it were harnessed, could solve the world’s energy problems.

Thus my son on Saturday.

My word the boy was wired. I let him use some tools while I put a cabinet together. He was very serious about his tools. And his work on the empty cardboard box. You must be secure in yourself to sport footie pajamas while working a monkey wrench.DSC09305 DSC09317DSC09318 Then, my guys went to play a round of Disc Golf while I made a quick trip to the store. I picked Caedmon up on my way home, and even after traipsing all over the course, he was a little maniac.

“Momma! Outside!”

He couldn’t get enough.DSC09333 DSC09335 Finally, it was naptime. And like an idiot, I decided to clean out my car instead of rest. After I finished with the car, I got to sit down for about 84 seconds before Caedmon woke up.

And then. Then came the great water gun chase. I’d bought Husband a 99 cent water gun as part of our Great Date Experiment on Friday night, and he taught Caedmon how to shoot it. Ya’ll know how much the boy loves water of any sort, so water he could point, aim, and shoot was utter delight and giddiness. Chasing us around the yard with the raw power of a 99 cent water gun was obviously the best. thing. ever.

While I was fixing dinner, I turned to Husband and said, “I know this sounds terrible, but I would just about pay someone to come play with him on days like today. I’m tired.”

I know. I’m a horrible mother.

We spent the hour and a half after dinner and before bedtime playing with nearly every toy in the house. There might have been a Mr. Potato Head that got neglected, but I think we went through just about everything else. Caedmon seriously could not sit still. By that time, all Husband and I wanted to do was sit on the couch. We were worn out.

Finally, bedtime came. Sweet, merciful bedtime. And a coughing boy who is not only getting over some crud, but has allergies kicking in since he spent so much time in the out-of-doors yesterday.

So. All of that to say (probably the longest preface to a question ever): I’d love any suggestions on allergy medicine for little kids.

(And then it’s not even a real question, is it?)

We use Benadryl and he does ok with it. (It neither knocks him out nor wires him. If I took the same dose I give him, I’d be out like a light for 6 hours.) But I hate having to remember to give it to him every 4-6 hours. We’ve tried Zyrtec, and he was as wired as he was Saturday, so he won’t be getting that again unless he is participating in some sort of enhanced interrogation technique where the caretaker must be deprived from sleep and driven to the brink of insanity. I’m going to pick up some Claritin when I go to the store today and give that a shot.

Maybe the rain that’s coming this week will actually be good for the cough and wash away the allergy-causing stuff. The downside to the rain is that it brings some cooler weather. But it also means spring is right around the corner. I’m just not sure I can take it.

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. My pediatrician prescribed Singulair to Madison. It didn't seem to alter her behavior at all. I didn't stick with it long enough to determine its helpfulness with allergies....we all got sick and I skipped all unnecessary meds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can fix the problem of Caedmon needing a play mate. Have another child! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ped recommended generic Zyrtec for Bman. I can't say that I've really noticed it helping him that much though. Poor thing was bound to have terrible allergies since Chris and I both do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna, I'd tried the Zyrtec at my Ped's suggestion. He said it is more drying than Claritin and that's why he preferred it. But there's no way it's worth it! I got the claritin today and we'll see how that works. I just gave him half a teaspoon to start - half the dose it calls for. I think I'm a little frightened of what it might do to him. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do they make liquid dimetapp anymore? I used that for ya'll...and I took it. I always took a reduced dosage for myself...so it would dry up the crud without leaving me in the allergy medicine zombie haze.

    ReplyDelete