Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Chocolate + Gravy = How Can You Go Wrong?

When Husband Tweeted/Facebooked about our Pre-Christmas dinner and our new traditional Christmas Day breakfast (as in this is the first time I’ve made it for Christmas Day breakfast, and Husband declared it a tradition), I didn’t realize it would cause such a stir. Apparently a few things I’d assumed were southern staples seemed quite exotic.

But they’re so yummy. So I decided to share with ya’ll. Well, not literally. Because it’s all gone. But you know what I mean.

One night for dinner, we had Chicken & Waffles. I must admit, it’s not something I ate growing up, but Husband and I love it. And I totally do it the lazy way. I don’t have a waffle iron anymore (it died), so I use frozen waffles (Gasp!) and I don’t fry my own chicken. And we prefer white gravy as opposed to butter and syrup. But it’s still. so. good. Chicken and waffles

Of the Christmas Day breakfast, I have no pictures. I was unaware I would need to document the deliciousness, so you’ll have to use your imagination. We had Eggs and Biscuits with Chocolate Gravy.

Again, I was unaware that Chocolate Gravy was so exotic. But ya’ll, it is so good! And it’s good for more than just biscuits. If it could use some warm chocolate goodness, pour it on!

Chocolate Gravy

2 cups milk

3/4 cup sugar

2 Tbsp cocoa

2 heaping Tbsp flour

1/2 tsp salt

2 Tbsp butter

1 tsp vanilla

Heat milk in saucepan over med-low heat. In a bowl, combine dry ingredients. Slowly whisk in enough milk to make a thick sauce. Pour into the warm milk in the saucepan. Stir constantly over med heat until thickened. Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla, stir until incorporated. Serve warm over anything that needs chocolate.

I realize those things are neither healthy nor low calorie. And that might interfere with some of your New Year’s Resolutions. But I could no longer withhold the goodness. Try it and let me know what you think!

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I've only heard of chicken and waffles, never actually tried it. But it looks and sounds good. I quote Joey from Friends loosely.
    "Chicken goooood, waffle gooood, gravy goooood. (that would be from the episode where Rachel makes a English trifle with beef)Chocolate gravy, yum yeah sounds great. Nothing wrong with that in my book either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the exact episode you're talking about. I love that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chicken and waffle thing I just can't get in to. I've tried, every time I've seen a picture your husband has posted... I've tried.

    But the chocolate gravy thing - that IS a southern staple and anyone that turns their nose up or hasn't had it ain't southern. Except I make mine with just sugar, flour, cocoa, and water. We add the butter later. I couldn't tell you measuerments of ANY of that stuff because I have my granny's exact pot that she's used for years making it and she just showed me with a spoon how much of everything to put in there. :) We here in the south also like to eyeball things. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness! I grew up eating chocolate gravy at my Memaw's house! I love it, but have never made it. I'll try your recipe. And I will have to try the chicken & waffles, too- I love anything with GRAVY!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew you would know that quote! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Chocolate gravy!!!! It's weird to me when people have not tried it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:24 PM

    I have never thought to combine chocolate and gravy, and I feel a little less loved that I haven't been able to enjoy this goodness on one of my visits.

    M3

    ReplyDelete
  8. M3, I certainly meant no slight to you or your taste buds. I will remedy that next time you're here. Biscuits & Chocolate Gravy. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete