Monday, March 20, 2006

Urgent, Urgent

Doesn't anyone have a sense of urgency anymore? No, not the song by Foreigner, or the dire need to go pee. I'm talking about having a sense that anything in the universe is important enough to hurry up for. (Yes, I realize that last sentence was comprised of completely horrible grammar, including the dreadful end with a preposition.)

I'll give an example. You're dying for one, aren't you? Let's take my current situation. I've been stricken with a "mystery illness/pain" that has been plaguing me since December. I’ve been to four different doctors now, trying to get this figured out. The Third Doc (TD) I actually liked, and then got switched to the Fourth Doc (FD). But that’s another story for another time. Anyway, after at least one misdiagnosis, I have been put thru several tests that are, let’s say, um…not fun. For one of them, a product called “Go Lytely” was involved. And if I felt I could sue for false advertising, I would. Nothing about that stuff was “lyte.” Also, I have become quite familiar with the element barium – you know, the one on the periodic table of elements you learned when you were in High School. And I must say that don’t like it. At all. So after convincing FD that I didn’t need some specialized test that could quite possibly (I believe) turn me into something similar to SpiderMan, I had a more “generalized” test today. And they actually called me back TODAY. Wonder of wonders!

But since FD is out this week for Spring Break, his nurse called me with some cryptic version of the results. TD looked over the results, and told FD’s Nurse to tell me to just come in next week when FD is back in the office. So, here’s the deal: After nearly three months of dealing with this, they have finally found what they believe to be the source of my problem. And they’ve decided I can wait another week and a half to find out about it. FD’s Nurse told me, “TD says you’ll be fine to wait until next week to see FD.” Well sure…since I haven’t died from this yet, I’m not likely to by next Thursday, I guess. But here’s a thought. Maybe, just maybe, since I’ve been dealing with this since Christmas, I’d like to get it taken care of. And gone. And do whatever it is I need to do to get it done. And I as much as said that to her, and asked if I could see TD this week instead. The answer was a resounding, “Nah.” Which, of course, does not make me a happy person. And I may not stand for it.

Ok, so let’s put things in perspective here. By next Thursday, I’m not likely to die or become violently ill from whatever it is they may or may not have found. But I have been suffering almost constant pain since Christmas. Stomach pain. I’m not trying to be whiny here, but this is the way it is. I’m ready to get this taken care of and put it behind me. I have things I need to do, and this kinda cramps my style, if you know what I mean. I just wish I could get a medical professional to understand the urgency I feel. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment