Monday, February 25, 2013

House Update: We’re In!

The past couple of weeks have been crazy. We said goodbye to the townhouse (ants and squirrels included), moved everything from the townhouse and storage into the new house. And unpacked almost everything. Not that it’s all put away. Because that might take a while.

We almost didn’t get to close on time. That morning, I called to check on some things and discovered that some paperwork wasn’t finished yet. So we continued on with our final walk-thru and waited to find out if the paperwork would get done. We literally found out an hour and a half before closing (20 minutes before we had to leave to make it on time) that we were actually going to get to sign on the house that day. It was a whirlwind of a day, for sure. The kids spent half the day in the car, and Honor had just a few minutes of nap. Car nap. We ended up at Cracker Barrel for dinner, and then dropped of a few things at the house. It was a long, but good day.

The rest of that week, the kids and I took loads of stuff to the house in the Xterra. I also cleaned the entire house, hung blinds (11 sets of blinds), and the curtains in the kids’ rooms.

Friday, I moved and unpacked the kitchen. The kitchen stuff that was supposed to go to storage ended up at the apartment, but we left it in boxes because we didn’t have room to unpack it. So, I was able to get all of it unpacked and put away. I felt so much better, having the kitchen done.

kitchen

Caedmon enjoyed the paper pile from all the stuff in storage.

paper

And when Honor got up from her nap, she had to join in.

paper2

Last Saturday, we had basketball, then moved all the big stuff over to the house. I’m so thankful for the guys who came to help. We couldn’t have done it without them!

But at the end of Saturday, there was still some stuff at the apartment. This kind of stuff.

mess

I literally wanted to just rake it all into a box.

But on Monday, reinforcements arrived. Mom got here Monday afternoon, and we worked all week. Hard enough to burn up the drill. It literally started smoking in my hand. We managed to get every room unpacked and (mostly) put away and organized. I am so thankful for her help. I couldn’t have gotten all that stuff done without her. The kids enjoyed having Mom here, and she even got to see Caedmon’s basketball game before heading home. I would post a picture, but I am not sure where my camera cable is right now (the others were on my phone).

There’s still a lot to be done, but we’ll get it done a bit at a time. We still have the garage to organize, but there currently is room for one car. And I have decided I just need someone to come tell me where to hang all our pictures and how to decorate. Since it’s all been in storage since October, I haven’t thought about where I want any of it to go! Any takers?

Also, the guest room is officially open. We’ve now had two overnight guests (M3 came to visit too!), and it should be good and broken in.

We are loving our new house and are so thankful for it.

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. That's so exciting! Good luck getting settled. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! Love it! I can't wait to see more pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm about to get brave and post some...I think!

      Delete