***Happy Birthday, Curly!***
1. Remember the squirrels? Yeah, they’re still around. One might think that squirrels hibernate or something since, you know, they store up nuts for the winter and all. But one would be wrong. I guess I should’ve known that from watching Chip n’ Dale cartoons. When has a Disney cartoon ever failed me? (Besides Special Agent Oso. But I won’t get into that now.)
But now it’s gone to a new level of ridiculousness. Now they’re in the wall of our bedroom. And Oz, who doesn’t chase anything except a crumb dropped from the table, has begun to chase them inside the walls. Better yet, he will sit, staring into the corner, ears alert, head cocked. He knows they’re in there. He just doesn’t know what to do about it. This is another instance in which I’m glad I have a lazy dog. Our Jack Russells would’ve torn the wall to shreds by now.
2. Lest you think I let Oz stare at the corner all day, he spends most of his time buried in his blankets. He doesn’t care for the cold weather.
3. The house is moving along nicely. I haven’t taken a lot of pictures lately because it’s hard to see changes now. Since the sheetrock went up, things are getting done, but it doesn’t look like a big change. I can’t wait to see the cabinets in place. Also? We have a “window” for closing. I’m trying not to get my hopes up too much in case something pushes us back some, but I can now count in weeks instead of months.
4. Very soon, I will be making lots of trips to Lowe’s/Home Depot. I cannot say that I’m sad about that. I know that lots of girls don’t like those stores, but I love them.
5. I went to Hobby Lobby this week for the first time since we moved in October. I think that’s the longest I’ve ever gone without going to that store. And I loved every second of being there. I may have walked down every single aisle.
6. While I was in Hobby Lobby, I suddenly recalled that Honor doesn’t yet have an Easter dress, and I have no idea what she’s going to wear. I know that’s a few months away, but I still feel behind. I bought last year’s Easter dress a year in advance. And now I feel like I have to coordinate with Caedmon’s outfit somehow. I know, I need to get over it. But I don’t know what he’s going to wear either.
7. Caedmon is starting Upward Basketball soon. We’ve never done basketball before, so this will be interesting. If anybody has any “basketball mom” tips for me, I’d love to hear them. I have dumb questions like, does he need “basketball shoes” or will regular athletic shoes work? I get that hightops will support his ankles and blah, blah. But he’s 5. I doubt they’ll be doing much fancy footwork. It’s probably just a step up from herding cats, so I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg on shoes that he’ll grow out of in 6 months. See? I don’t know what I’m doing. I hope they need somebody to make cookies. I can do that.
8. While I’m so ready to get back to a regular schedule, I’ve really enjoyed our unstructured days and time off of school. I can’t wait until my children learn to sleep late so we can enjoy them even more. Or at least fend for themselves enough for me to be able to sleep in.
9. Speaking of sleep, that’s still a rocky thing around here. Honor is consistently waking up about an hour and a half after she goes to bed, no matter what time we put her down. Some nights, she’ll lay down and go right back to sleep. Others, we’re not so lucky. I’m going to have to pull out my sleep books and see what the deal is. Except that my sleep books are in storage. I guess I’ll be going to the library.
10. I laid down yesterday with the goal of taking a nap. I couldn’t go to sleep, so I turned the TV on, thinking I’d get bored with it and fall asleep. Except that the Season 2 finale of Downton Abbey was on. Of course I watched it again. Is anyone else excited that it starts back this Sunday? I will admit that I put it on my calendar months ago. I’m ready to see what kind of one-liners the Dowager Countess comes up with this season.