I really enjoy finding small things that make me happy. And some of those things come at the suggestions of friends. So, in case you need a few new ideas, here you go!
1. “Simple” Moisturizer. I’ve probably used the same moisturizer for about 6 years, no lie. And y’all know I’m cheap. So when I felt like it was time for a change, I thought this might be just what I was looking for. And I’m really enjoying it. It’s light and I think my face is really appreciating it. It doesn’t have sunscreen, but my makeup does, so I’m still covered.
2. “Wow!” Stainless Steel Cleaner. My friend Melanie told me about a stainless steel cleaner she bought due to a recommendation from a restaurateur. And because she’s a giving soul, she brought some to me. She told me it really worked, unlike anything else I’d ever used on my stainless appliances and trash can. (Let’s be honest. Even the “fingerprint proof” stainless cannot handle toddlers.) So, I tried it. I followed her instructions to put JUST THREE SQUIRTS onto a paper towel then use it to rub with the grain, thinking there was no way that just three squirts of anything was going to clean all the fingerprints on our stainless appliances.
So when I finished, this is the text I sent her: “This stuff should not be called “Wow!” It should be called, “Holy Crap!” Where has this stuff been all my life?
It cleaned all of my gross stainless stuff without leaving streaks or the greasy looking marks that say, “I’m not dirty, but I used to be.” The best thing is? It’s not stinky, it’s non-toxic, and biodegradable, so you can be all tree-huggerish and get your stainless stuff clean. I kid you not. It’s been a week since I cleaned the fridge, dishwasher, and trash can. There are no fingerprints. And I know it’s not because there haven’t been sticky little fingers all over them.
3. “Do It Anyway” video by Ben Folds Five. First, Ben Folds. Second, Fraggles. Yes, Fraggles.
I think we all need to be reminded sometimes to just “Do it anyway.”
Oh, and be sure to watch all the way to the end. (Special thanks to Gina for tweeting this!)
4. My current favorite snack. Get ready – it’s complicated.
Raw (unsalted) almonds and Hershey’s Special Dark chocolate chips.
And for good measure now and then (if the kids haven’t eaten them all), I thrown in some dried cranberries.
I know. It’s earth shattering. I just toss a handful of each into a bowl, shake them up a bit, and enjoy. Usually right before bed time. Which, I know, goes against every rule in the book about eating before bed. But I’ve survived this long, so I think I’ll keep on enjoying my almonds and chocolate.
5. Revolution. Ok, so there’s only been one show that’s aired. But it’s from JJ Abrams. And it’s all LOST-ish. I think it will be a standing Monday night date for Husband and me. (He’s not quite convinced yet, but that’s what he thought about LOST, too. And The Office. We all know what happened there.)
6. FALL WEATHER. I know, it’s not really something anyone has control over, but I am glad it’s finally starting to feel fall-ish. That means I can wear jeans without sweltering and scarves without feeling like an idiot. And I can make soup for dinner once a week and get away with it. Maybe.
7. Redmond Clay. Yes, I love me some dirt right now. This stuff is awesome. A long time ago, it was used for medicinal purposes by the Fremont Indians, who, I’m sure, knew a lot more about natural medicine than I do.
The website tells you all the stuff you can use it for, which is more things than you can imagine. Recently, I’ve used it as a facial, I’ve put it on Honor’s crazy-horrible-looking mosquito bites, and I mixed it in water and drank some (yes I did) when I had some sort of stomach bug last week. I know it sounds crazy, but my stomach stopped cramping in just a few minutes. I still didn’t feel great, but I wasn’t in pain any more. I’m a believer.
(I am not a doctor, nor do I play on on TV or the Internet. Eat dirt at your own risk.)
That’s all for now. I’d love to hear some things you’re loving right now!