Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Husband’s Birthday

We celebrated Husband’s birthday this past weekend. The kids were excited about Daddy’s cards and gifts!


See? Honor was super excited.


Husband got a new Dallas shirt – and I’d ordered a new Cowboys shirt for Caedmon as well. We couldn’t show Caedmon’s shirt until Daddy got his, so they got them at the same time.


I made this Snickerdoodle Cake from Pinterest. I made Cinnamon Cream Cheese frosting instead of her buttercream, and it was super yummy. (Just a personal preference – no slight to her Brown Sugar Cinnamon Buttercream, which I’m sure is very good.)


For dinner on Sunday, we drove to the north side (an hour long trip) to eat at Chuy’s. It was so good. I probably ate my weight in freshly-made chips, salsa, and guacamole. It’s a good thing I knew myself well enough to plan for that contingency and only order the tortilla soup for dinner.

On the way home, we encountered this. An hour of this.


Standstill traffic. Where we discovered, finally, that the interstate was closed due to an accident, and all traffic was being rerouted off a single exit. Meanwhile, as we were sitting in traffic, we had the opportunity to bend the rules a few times.

Of course, Caedmon said he had to pee. So I climbed from the front to the back seat, unbuckled Caedmon, and we broke out the portable potty in the back of the Xterra. I’m sure the guy in the car behind us thought we’d lost our minds. It was a false alarm, but still. (If you have kids and don’t have a portable potty, you need to get one. This is the one we have. Worth every penny. Even for false alarms.)

And between the two kids, I ended up crawling back a couple more times to pick up toys, get a sippy cup, and generally calm things down back there.

Then, Honor started to lose it. I blame a scary-looking guy in the truck next to us. She was just fine until he came along. Then after that? Unhappy for the remainder of the trip. She was quiet if I was holding her hand. Which meant that I was reaching my left arm over my seat to the top of her head, where her little arm would reach up and grab my fingers. It was really sweet – as long as I had feeling in my arm. Every now and then, I’d have to regain circulation in my arm and she’d cry while I did so. It was nothing short of marvelous.

It took us two full hours to get home. I think that qualifies as the longest birthday dinner trip ever.

That’s ok though. We were celebrating somebody pretty important.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment