Thursday, March 22, 2012

Two Kids, One Mom

When we found out our first baby was a boy, I thought to myself, “I got this.” I grew up with boys. I had as many (or more) guy friends in high school as I did girl friends. I had no use for all the girl drama (still don’t), and have always felt more comfortable in a room full of guys than in a room full of girls. Psychoanalyze that.

Caedmon and I settled into our boy/Mom relationship quite well. I could hang with him smashing bugs or chasing frogs. Learning to burp like a pro? I’m down with that. Sword fights, Hot Wheels, and commando-jumping off the couch became a part of our everyday lives.

When we found out our second baby was a girl, I was excited. But I knew I had no idea what I was doing with a girl. I still don’t.

When Honor was born, she fit seamlessly into our family. It really wasn’t as hard as I thought it was going to be. It’s like she always belonged, we were just waiting for her to show up. And the first few months were challenging just because of the demands of a newborn, but in reality, I think it was not as bad as it could’ve been.

I thought I had the “boy mom” thing kinda figured out. Not that I ever really had things figured out. Because I didn’t. I don’t.

Caedmon is sweet. Happy. Loving. Sensitive. Inquisitive. Busy. Detailed. Noisy. Action-loving and definitely a boy.

Learning to be a “girl mom” has been challenging already. And Honor doesn’t even talk yet.

It’s not just the difference in outfits. Or the accessories (although those are huge challenges for me). She’s sweet. Happy. Loving. Sensitive. Curious. Content. Quiet (unless she’s upset). Delicate and tough at the same time. Definitely a girl.

Even in their similar characteristics, Caedmon and Honor are very different. Part of it has to do with being a boy or girl. Part of it with their birth order. And part of it with their individual personalities. But I’m just one Mom.  

It’s amazing to me how God gives the same two people children that are very different.

I am incredibly blessed to be a Mom. Not once, but twice.

I am not perfect. Neither are my kids.

My responsibility to them goes far above trying to be a good Mom. (I’m not even going to discuss the practical side of things here, because, well, whoa.) God has entrusted these kids to Husband and me. And as Mom, I share the responsibility of not only teaching them to be productive members of society (aka not morons), but teaching them about Jesus and His love for them.

It’s a challenging balance to try to strike, being Mom to both of these precious, sweet little kids that are alike but different. I am who I am, and that’s never going to change. I know God knows what He’s doing, and I pray daily that I am the Mom they need.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment