Thursday, January 12, 2012

Lemon Peppermint Throat Spray

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or medical professional. I do not play one on TV, nor do I pretend to be one on my blog. This stuff is not “medicine.” It may only be a placebo. But it’s one that I like.

It’s that time of year again. The time where if you’re not sick, it’s because you just got well. And it won’t be long before someone else at your house is sick. Whether it’s a stomach virus, “the snots” as I call it, or the full-on flu, there’s always something going around.

In an effort to be sick less and use natural remedies more, I have a few tricks that I like to use. Last winter when I was pregnant with Honor, I couldn’t use many of my standby OTC medicines, so it made me even more interested in natural things that were safe for both of us. And that’s when I found the Lemon Peppermint Throat Spray. I got the recipe from this natural remedies website, and I’m sure it’s listed other places as well.

This stuff works. At least it does for us. Every time I get that “feeling” in my throat, I spray this stuff a few times, and it’s pretty much gone. And we all know that if your throat hurts, the rest of you is miserable. (C’mon, you know you used to hug the Chloraseptic bottle when you were a kid.) It also seems to cut through that junk that hangs down the back of your throat, giving you that “I’m going to choke on this crap” feeling.

I’ve even used it for Caedmon. Earlier in the fall, Caedmon came down with Strep/Tonsillitis. It took a sweet forever to get over, even with antibiotics. So when he had a fever after Thanksgiving, I checked his throat. The same white bumps were starting to pop up on his tonsils. I decided to give the Lemon Peppermint spray a shot. (My only challenge was actually spraying it in his throat, but we figured it out.) I sprayed his throat one evening just before bed, and again a couple of times the next day. By the end of the day, his fever was gone. And the next morning the bumps on his tonsils were gone. This is purely anecdotal evidence, but it’s enough for me to try it again, especially since it’s really not going to hurt anything to try.

I’ve also used it when we travel, especially on airplanes. Just a good spray here and there during those germy times. Again, it’s not medicine, but it can help kill any weird germs that might have made their way into your throat and get rid of them before they start their sick party.

I will say that my Dad has always used an Apple Cider Vinegar concoction and gargled it. I’m sure it works just as well, but I’m not the gargling type. Sure, I found a way to gargle my Jell-o as a kid, but that was fun. I almost gag on this other junk, so I’d much rather use a spray.

We each have our own little spray bottle now. (You can find small empty spray bottles in the travel section at Walmart that are the perfect size.) That way we don’t pass germs back and forth while trying to stay healthy. It’s super easy to make and seems to be shelf-stable, though you could keep it in the fridge if you wanted to. Go ahead, make some of your own! Let me know what you think of it!Lemon Peppermint Spray without www

Lemon Peppermint Throat Spray

15 drops lemon essential oil

5 drops peppermint essential oil

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice

Combine the ingredients and pour into a spray bottle. Shake well and spray on your throat throughout the day as needed for sore throat or illness. Or use randomly for plain ol’ germ killin’.

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. OK, this sounds really cool! I think I might try it!

    ReplyDelete