Thursday, September 08, 2011

Our Last Great hope: Book Review

I was contacted last week and asked if I would do a review of Dr. Ronnie Floyd’s new book, Our Last Great Hope. I was asked to review the book “from my perspective.” At our previous church, we served with Dr. Floyd. He and Jeana are special to us in so many ways, and I am honored that he wanted me to write about his book. Of course I said yes and waited for my pre-release copy to arrive.

And then later I thought, “Uh-oh. What’s my ‘perspective’? I see more loads of laundry than people some days, and definitely more diapers.” But I figured Dr. Floyd knew what he was getting into when he asked me to read it.

I knew that Our Last Great Hope was going to be about the Great Commission, as stated in Matthew 23:19-20. Many of us learned those verses as kids. But Dr. Floyd gives us perspective on the state of our world and puts feet on the verses by giving us all some practical steps to take in order to fulfill the Great Commission.

Dr. Floyd tells us that at this current time, 50% of the world’s population will most likely never even have the opportunity to hear about Jesus, much less have a chance to reject him. Wow. Go back and read that again. 50%. 

My favorite thing about this book is that it’s not just a bunch of statistics and “church talk.” Dr. Floyd gives each and every person practical steps to take in every day life to fulfill the Great Commission. Things anyone can do. No excuses. He helps us understand that “go therefore” means as we go in our every day life, not just when we can find the time or money to go on a mission trip. He helps us examine our own hearts and gives advice on how to pray for and talk to family, friends, and our kids about Jesus.

And there it was. My perspective was saying, “Hello! Here I am!”

The Great Commission is not just about going to a foreign country and talking to someone through a translator. It’s about our own kids, too. And the kids our kids hang out with. Part of furthering the Gospel is helping our own children understand their need for Jesus and then teaching them how important it is to share with their friends…and the rest of the world. It begins at home. In your house. In mine.

That’s not where it ends, of course. So if you know someone who needs Jesus (and since only 11 of 100 people in the world profess to know Jesus, I’m pretty sure you do), read this book. And then put it into action. We can’t afford not to.

You can find out more about Dr. Ronnie Floyd, buy the book, or download the first chapter for free here.

Disclaimer: I was provided with a pre-release copy of Our Last Great Hope in exchange for this review, but this post was not edited or previewed by the author or publisher. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment