Saturday, July 16, 2011

Travel Day 2

Not caught up? Try here and here.

Honor slept like a champ at Nana and Poppy’s, but the rest of us…not so much. We were overtired and anxious to be done with the trip. Hence, all of us except the baby were awake at 4:30am. So we decided to get up and leave. We were on the road by 5:30am.

By 9am we were in our fourth state. But not before stopping for potty/coffee breaks and an orange push-up breakfast for a certain little boy. Push-up for Breakfast

Because what’s an agonizing day of travel without a sugar rush? I had to veto the Root Beer. I don’t think any of us could’ve handled it.

When Husband made the trip the week before with just he and Oz, the 2nd day took him about 7 hours. It took us 9 hours. Honor is not a fan of being in her carseat for more than about an hour to an hour and a half at a time, so we’d have to stop to let her out to stretch. And of course, to eat. And then we had to eat. And take potty breaks. I think we stopped more on that day’s trip than I’ve stopped on any trip in a very long time.

Caedmon kept saying things like, “I don’t want to be in this carseat forever!” We assured him that it wouldn’t be forever, but it sure did seem like it at the time…to him and to me.

I did take the advice of a few friends and purchased him a few special surprises for the trip. I bought a Tom & Jerry DVD and a few small toys I knew he’d like (and kept some for backup for the days at the house with few toys). They were a hit, but he was so tired of sitting still that by lunchtime I don’t think that a fire breathing dragon could’ve distracted him from how weary he was of the car.

So we were glad to finally roll into our new town mid-afternoon. We went right to our house and gave Caedmon the tour. He took advantage of having no furniture in the way and ran around like a wild child. I can’t say that I blame him. Husband went to pick Oz up from the kennel and when he came home I could almost hear Peaches & Herb singing “Reunited.” Our boy was happy and so was our dog.

I ran to the grocery store and we fixed some dinner and settled in for our first night. It went surprisingly well…Honor slept like an angel – not a peep for 12 hours (rare, but awesome). Caedmon was so tired that he passed out and slept until the next morning. I was shocked. I just knew he’d be up a hundred times, so I was extremely happy that he not only left us alone, but got some good rest. And I think Husband and I were so tired from the previous weeks leading up to that day that we would’ve slept anywhere.

And thus part of the journey ended, and another began.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment