Monday, January 24, 2011

Snow Cream

The last part of our week was consumed with s.n.o.w! We woke up on Thursday to a winter wonderland and watched the flakes fall for most of the day. It also meant there was no KDO and Caedmon and I had to stay home. But we made do.

Actually, we made snow cream.

There are lots of recipe variations. But I use the lazy simple one.

One can of Sweetened, Condensed Milk. And snow.

Usually my “technique” consists of dumping the milk in a bowl… (I usually refrigerate it. It helps me feel better about not melting the snow too much during the process. If it actually makes a difference to the “recipe”, I have no idea.)

_DSC0357

…then adding (clean!) snow until it reaches the consistency I like. (I try to put out a couple of large plastic containers and let the snow fall directly into them. That way I don’t have to try to “pick up” snow that’s clean and pretty. It’s come straight from the heavens.)

_DSC0358

It usually looks something like this when we’re finished.

_DSC0371

Or this.

_DSC0368

And then this.

_DSC0372

_DSC0373

I’ll go ahead and confess: this is what we had for lunch. It’s not every day you get to have a snow day. Or snow cream. Or snow cream with homemade chocolate chip cookies (which is what we had for dessert after dinner that night).

The snow? It gets old after a while. Snow cream never seems to.

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I am just hoping for one more snow this winter in SC so we can make some snow cream. It was on our to-do list last time, but I didn't put out my container and by the next morning it was all frozen. Go figure! Sounds like you all had a great end to the week. :) Lana

    ReplyDelete