Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Black Forest Brownie Pecan Pie

Yes, I said it. And I made it. And just like it says in the Bible, it was good.

I found the recipe in some random place like a coupon flyer or something. But the name caught my eye and the thought of chocolate, cherries, and whipped cream together just seemed too good to pass up. I made it for our Christmas dinner and over the weekend, I think I ate half of it by myself. That probably didn’t help the 7 pound weight gain last month.

On the stove, stir together corn syrup, sugar and salt. Heat to boiling for a couple minutes and remove from heat.

_DSC0332

Mix in chocolate and butter until melted and smooth. (You’re supposed to use Baker’s chocolate, but I used an equal amount of chocolate chips instead.) Cool 5 minutes.

_DSC0339

Beat your eggs in a separate bowl, then temper them by adding just a little chocolate at a time until the eggs are warmed up.

_DSC0342

Then pour the rest of the chocolate in and stir until combined.

_DSC0344

Add pecans and vanilla and mix well.

_DSC0347

Pour into pie crust. The recipe calls for using a graham cracker crust, which I used. But I didn’t care for the way it turned out – it got kinda tough after baking. Next time (and there will be a next time), I’ll use a regular pie crust instead.

_DSC0349

_DSC0352

Apparently, I forgot to take a photo of the whole baked pie. I was too eager to cut into it, probably. Here it is with cherries and whipped cream on top. Yum!

_DSC0009

It’s chocolaty, nutty, cherry and whipped cream goodness on a plate.

Ya’ll should try this. Really.

Black Forest Brownie Pecan Pie

1 cup Karo syrup (light or dark)

½ cup sugar

1/8 tsp salt

4 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, broken into pieces (I used 4 oz semi sweet chocolate chips)

3 Tbsp butter

4 eggs, slightly beaten

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

1 graham cracker pie crust (2 extra-serving size) (The crust baked really hard. I’ll just use a regular crust next time.)

1 can cherry pie filling

Whipped topping

Combine corn syrup, sugar and salt in small saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Boil for 2 minutes, remove from heat.

Add chocolate and butter to syrup mixture, stirring until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Let cool for 5 minutes.

Pour chocolate mixture slowly over eggs, stirring constantly (or temper). Add vanilla and pecans; mix well. Place pie crust on a baking sheet for stability, pour mixture into crust.

Bake at 350 for about 50 minutes, until center of pie is slightly puffed; cool at least 1 hr.

To serve, top each slice of pie with cherry pie filling and whipped topping.

Ya’ll enjoy!

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Yum-O! That will definitely be made in the coming days. Last night I made your infamous chicken pot pie and it did not disappoint at all. Being 7 months preggo, I would love for you to share any other recipes that you have that freeze well. I have the enchiladas on my list for next week (1 for now and 1 to freeze.) I doubt it makes it until the baby comes, but I start back to school in Feb. so will use it then.... and then make more before end of March /beg. of April. haha Enough blabbing....

    ReplyDelete