Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Because I Like To Say “Salsa”

Yesterday evening, Husband tweeted about some salsa I made. Apparently the world is in need of some good salsa, because we were flooded with Twitter/Facebook requests for the recipe.

But you know I can’t just give you the recipe. That would be too simple.

DSC00678

First, every time I think about salsa, I remember this clip from Seinfeld.



Someone asked where the recipe came from. It is a direct result of trying to reverse engineer salsa that was made by Richard. Richard was (is?) the Catering Director at a certain BBQ place where I worked when we lived in Texas, and he made all the salsa for the restaurant. On special occasions, he would make his “salsa fresca” for us in the office. Richard would never tell us how he made it, but I think I got close.

Get ready, because it’s complicated. Full of zero measurements and guesswork. You must put your taste buds to the test.

Rip-Off of Richard’s Salsa Fresca

Equal parts tomato (I use romas) with no seeds or juice, white onion, and avocado

Garlic (whatever kind you like – powder, minced, fresh)

Salt

Lime juice

Cilantro

Dice the tomato, onion and avocado into small pieces, all about the same size. You want it chunky but small enough to stay on your chip. Salsa that won’t stay on your chip is annoying.

Stir in garlic, salt, lime juice, and diced cilantro to taste. (Or if you’re like my friend “Sass,” leave the cilantro out because you truly believe it tastes like perfume.) I like to taste a LOT, so there’s a lot of seasoning in mine. Remember, you can always add more, so go light at first and taste often. It’s a sacrifice, I know. Sometimes I season it up good, then after it sits in the fridge (explained below), I add a bit more.

The salsa tastes better after everything’s had a chance to get happy in the fridge for a while, so make it at least a few hours ahead. Letting it sit overnight is ok too.

Load up a chip and go for it!

DSC00674

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. My mom makes this kind of salsa and I love it! She also puts mango in it when it's in season. It sounds weird but it's really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...mango sounds really good! I will definitely have to try that. Thanks, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete