Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Works-For-Me-Wednesday: Keepsakes (Again)

A while back, I wrote a WFMW post about storing keepsakes for Caedmon, my total lack of sentimentality and hatred for scrapbooking.

Because I like to keep my feelings veiled.

The photo storage boxes have been great, and I’ve been pleased with the system. It’s not so much a system as it is something like this: Caedmon brings home something cute, it sits on the kitchen counter for a couple of days, and if I can’t bring myself to throw it away, it goes in the box.

It’s very scientific.

All has gone well with the photo box method until recently. And it’s not the fault of the photo box. It’s those wonderful people who teach my son in KDO, on Sunday mornings, and in childcare. He brings home so.many.cute.things. And most of them are on a sheet of paper.

(Just for the record, I am willing to throw just about anything in the trash except for my boy’s handprint. I know how much he hates to get his hands dirty, so his little painted handprints are extra special to me. Sappy, I know.)

And since we all know that a regular size piece of paper will not fit into a photo box without creases, folds, or a permanent curl, a new solution had to be found. And found it was.

I mentioned before that I’d seen document storage boxes at Walmart. Well, I went back this past week and found them again. (They were near the scrapbooking/office/art supplies.) All they had was white, so that will have to do. (When he’s a bit older, maybe he can decorate his keepsake boxes. We know I’m not going to be the one to do it.) It’s actually a box for storing 12x12 scrapbook paper. So it will nicely hold all the 11x8.5 artwork my boy is bringing home, plus plenty of other stuff. And it has the nice little metal label holder on the front.

The document storage box was about $6. Not too bad for something to store my child’s priceless memories. Sure, The Container Store has more variety, and even pretty document storage boxes, but they’re also more expensive and I’d have to pay shipping since I don’t live near one anymore. (Can you hear the sadness in my voice? Because it’s there.) I’ve never seen them at Hobby Lobby, but maybe I just haven’t looked in the right place.

The Document Storage boxes work for me! Head on over to We Are THAT Family for more Works-For-Me-Wednesday tips.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment