Monday, October 12, 2009

The Communication Gap

I believe we are experiencing a communication gap at our house. And it’s driving me crazy.

Caedmon still doesn’t use phrases. So conversation around here during the day is pretty one-sided. He uses single words to tell me what he wants. If it takes more than that, it gets pretty tough.

I ask a question, he says, “Uh-huh” or “No” and I coax him to say “Yes ma’am” or “No ma’am,” which he won’t actually do since it’s two words. I get either “Yeash!” or “Maah.” It’s really sweet.

Most of the time.

Our problem comes when he wants something that requires more than a one-word explanation.

Just the other day he had a five-minute meltdown because he wanted me to play ball with him. But he wouldn’t tell me he wanted to play ball – he was trying to get me to sit down first. And the day after that he went through elaborate measures to get me to put my shoes on before telling me he wanted to go outside.

Could he just say “ball” or “play?” No. He had to tell me to sit first. Could he just say “outside?” No. He had to tell me to put my shoes on first.

The boy is into details. And a teensy bit bossy. I wonder where he gets it?

Maybe I should be glad he’s not yet speaking in phrases.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment