Tuesday, September 01, 2009

It Was All Pretty Much A Blur

Much of last week feels like this:DSC04345 As I mentioned last week, Husband’s grandfather passed away early Monday morning. We left Tuesday afternoon and went to his Mom & Dad’s to prepare for the funeral, etc.

Poor C was in the car so much those three days. I think he was beginning to think the carseat was an extension of his body. And I shudder to think of all the crumbs and sticky that’s on the thing now. In fact, I might not even need to strap him in because the sticky is probably enough to hold him in case of a head-on collision. Thank goodness for washable covers!

Most of our time there was spent going from one relative’s house to another, never staying longer than a few hours. It wears on you as a grown-up, but it was tough on C. But he did really well, considering. There were only a few meltdowns. But after little sleep at night and zero nap, what else can you expect from an almost-2-year-old?

The poor guy, he woke up in the middle of the night the first night and begged to go bye-bye and nite-nite. I’m assuming, since we were trying to go nite-nite, that he meant he wanted to go home to his own bed. The second night, well, let’s just say that it was worse than the first one, and I truly believe that people who allow their children to sleep in their beds with them are just plain sleep-deprived crazy.

We did get to see a lot of family we don’t get to visit often. Chris’s sister, S and her family came up on Wednesday. C was very glad to have his cousin J to play with. J is 2 years older than C, and oh so wise in the ways of Hide & Seek and other such marvelous games. They played for a long time at Grandma H’s house. J and Z endeavored to teach C to hide under the bed, but it just wasn’t working. DSC04347In one of the (few) still and quiet moments, J decided to show C one of his favorite books. It was a sweet little 37 seconds. DSC04357As I said before, Husband preached his Grandpa B’s funeral on Thursday. I know it was difficult for him to do, and I’m proud of him for doing such a great job and being there when his family needed him. He’s even been invited back to do a wedding. How’s that for an encore?

Here we are with Husband’s Grandma F just before we left to head home. C was in no mood for a photo-op by this time, so we made the best of it while Cousin P quickly snapped a few shots for us.We were all worn out and tired of being in the car by the time we got home. Oz was waiting for us, having been very well cared for by a friend.

C was so glad to be home that when we went into his room, he ran over to his bed, patted it and said, “Nite-nite, Momma!” I guess I was right. The boy did want to come home and sleep in his own bed. And I couldn’t blame him.

Yep, it was good to be home.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment