Friday, May 18, 2012

Italian Beans and Rice

I love fast, easy meals. And if they’re healthy, I love them even more.

Husband and I used to eat Red Beans & Rice all the time. We were poor. It was cheap. A package of Mahatma and a box of Jiffy cornbread mix was a quick, cheap dinner. We haven’t eaten red beans and rice much lately (It’s a bit spicy for the kids.), and I was glad to find a substitute for that inexpensive, homey meal.

I found this recipe in the oddest of places – the back of a can of beans. Not a place I’ve ever found a recipe before, but I saw it and knew I had to give it a shot. I’ve now made it a few times and it’s been well received by everybody at our house.

The ingredients are simple. Rice. Cannellini Beans. Italian diced tomatoes. Seasoning. And for good measure, (and to make it “substantial,”) I usually add some smoked sausage. Dinner. Done.

_DSC0060

It’s not the prettiest thing I’ve ever made, but it’s good.

_DSC0064

Enjoy!

Italian Beans & Rice (from a can of Bush’s Cannellini Beans)

1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes with Italian herbs

1 can (15.5oz) Cannellini Beans or Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed

2/3 cup instant rice

1/4 tsp Italian seasoning or 1/2 tsp dry basil

Pepper to taste

Place all ingredients in medium saucepan. Cook 3-4 minutes, covered over medium-high heat. Uncover pan and continue cooking 2-3 minutes, or until rice is tender. Dish is slightly saucy when completely cooked.

My variations: I typically use regular brown rice, so I pre-cook it. I dump the cooked rice into a skillet with a little bit of oil on medium-high heat. Add the tomatoes, beans, and seasoning. And I never measure, but I probably add more than 1/4 tsp of Italian seasoning. Add salt and pepper. And if I’m adding sausage, I throw that in and cover it, turn down the heat to low and let it simmer for a few minutes. Done!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment