Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Employees Must Wash Hands…

Yesterday I left you with a sick boy and plans to do nothing but sit on the couch all day. That’s not exactly the way it went.

We started out sitting on the couch. He had no fever, so I figured he was on the mend, especially since he said “I don’t feel sick today, Momma!” when he woke up. By 10am he was asleep. On the couch. While Phineas and Ferb was on.

If you know anything about my child, you know that doesn’t happen. Hasn’t ever happened. And likely won’t happen again for a long, long time. And it freaked me out just a teensy bit.

His fever was creeping back up and he was asleep in a place which was not his bed. So I made an appointment to take him to the doctor. And then I did laundry to keep myself busy and so we’d have clean underwear for today. Sometimes that’s important.

My sweet Husband came home at lunch to hang out with Caedmon so I could take a shower. I’d planned on sitting on the couch all day, which didn’t require the washing of hair or shaving of legs. And not that going to the doctor’s office did, but it was definitely more socially acceptable.

In the meantime, Caedmon woke up and felt a bit better. He ate. And asked for more. Which was a big improvement. In the back of my mind, I thought, “Great. I freak out and make him an appointment and we’re going to walk into the doctor’s office and he’s going to be bouncing off the walls and they’ll think I’m crazy for bringing him.” I was tempted to remind him to look sick, but I held my tongue. He still had fever, so I didn’t feel like a complete loser.

We made it to our 2:30 appointment a little early and were called right back. Dr. L gave Caedmon a good once-over and declared him sick, indeed. A double ear infection and stomach virus. As if one wasn’t bad enough. Apparently they’ve seen a lot of both lately. I had been scared to death he was going to make the dreaded “flu” pronouncement (because that would complicate life in so many ways), and was relieved when Dr. L said Caedmon should be back to his normal self in another day or so. We were out of there by 2:40.

(I always love that our clinic is so quick. But sometimes I feel cheated that I just paid a full co-pay for an appointment that lasted all of 15 minutes. Not that I don’t appreciate the doctors and staff, but since you pay the same amount no matter how long it takes, it’s a bit weird sometimes. Not that I want the appointments to last a long time, either. I don’t really know what I’m trying to say. If you understand, please nod and move on. If you don’t, please take into account I’ve been dealing with a sick kid since Friday and thought I was seeing things when I drove past a goat in someone’s front yard yesterday. It was real, I promise.)

We still had to get antibiotics, which meant waiting for the pharmacy to get them ready. So we drove around a bit and went by to see Mimi and Papa for a little while since they don’t mind having sick little boys at their house. We picked up his medicine and came home.

I got dinner ready, my guys ate, and I left.

No, I wasn’t running away. I was running, though…to Target to pick up a gift before Kelly’s surprise shower. It was great to get to surprise Kelly and bless baby Hollis with some fun things. And a much needed diversion for me.

Caedmon was asleep when I got home. His fever was back up. And it turned out to be a bumpy night. I think by 4am I’d been in his room no less than 6 times. And Husband was finally awakened by all of my comings and goings around that time. Of course, the fact that Caedmon had been coughing his head off and was complaining of a headache and being hungry necessitated a bit more TLC at that time of the morning. So with that taken care of and him quietly listening to a CD, we all went back to bed. And some of us slept.

Caedmon slept until 8am. At which time he got up and began playing with his favorite truck, quite possibly the loudest thing he owns. I managed to get him to come watch some cartoons. And I went back to sleep. Sort of. It’s hard to sleep when Mickey Mouse is blaring and there’s a plastic truck blowing its horn next to your head. But I was tired.

So we’ve already watched way too much TV today and been way too lazy. But the boy is feeling good so far, so I’ll take it.

Now to go disinfect the house so we don’t share any of these lovely germs. Doesn’t that sound like fun? Yeah, that’s what I thought.

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Praying for Caedmon. I'm so sorry he hasn't been feeling well. Had fun last night - hoping to see you soon!