Thursday, February 11, 2010

In Which I Learn To Get Along With A Diacritic

In general, I like breakfast food. Anything you can douse in syrup or spread butter and jelly on is good. But I don’t really like to eat breakfast at, you know, breakfast time. So while we have pancakes or biscuits and gravy for dinner occasionally, I don’t get a chance to really make a lot of breakfast-y things.

But yesterday was our group’s turn to bring snacks to MOPS, and I took the opportunity to make one of my favorite things: French Toast Soufflé. 

Typically I stay far away from things with the little mark over the “e”, (called a diacritic mark) because that tends to scream I AM SO COMPLICATED and YOU HAVE TO HOLD YOUR PINKY UP WHILE YOU EAT ME. But my friend Kathy gave me the recipe, and I know she would never steer me wrong. This stuff is really easy and so good! No pinky holding up required.

I seriously had to exercise some self control yesterday morning as I was baking it, because I wanted to dive right in. But I refrained and the soufflé made it to MOPS unscathed. I was not expecting to have the pan scraped clean when I came home with it, though. Secretly, I was hoping to bring home leftovers and have it along with some bacon for dinner last night. Sad, I know. But it didn’t turn out that way, and that’s just fine. I’m glad everyone enjoyed it!

A few of the ladies asked for the recipe, so here it is!

French Toast Soufflé

10 cups one-inch cubed sturdy white bread (i.e. Pepperidge Farm Hearty White or Texas Toast bread) approx. 16 slices - I used the whole loaf

cooking spray

8 oz. cream cheese softened

8 large eggs

1-1/2 cup. milk

2/3 c. half & half

1/2 cup maple syrup

1/2 t. vanilla

powdered sugar

more maple syrup (for serving)

Place bread cubes in 13 x 9 baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Beat cream cheese at medium speed. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Add milk, half & half, 1/2 c. maple syrup & vanilla, and mix until smooth. Pour egg mixture over top of bread. Cover & refrigerate overnight. (If you don’t have overnight, at least try to give it 30-45 minutes to let the bread soak up as much of the liquid as possible.)

To bake, remove from refrigerator and let stand on counter for 30 minutes before baking. Cover with foil, bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes; remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes (50 minutes total) or until set and the top starts to brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with hot maple syrup.

Kathy said she’s halved the recipe before and only made a 9x9 pan, and it worked just fine.

So ya’ll eat up!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment