Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Works-For-Me-Wednesday: Prevent Laundry Detergent Goop

I have no idea how laundry detergent, etc. ends up all down the side of the bottle and in a sticky pool on the shelf. Because I know I am not that messy with it.

I have attempted to clean the laundry shelf several times before and never really put the effort into cleaning all the goop because I knew it would just re-accumulate.

Then I decided I would do something about it. So I cleaned the shelf really well. Seriously, I had to get a tool I last used to scrape varnish off of furniture.

And determined the shelf would not get goopy again, I laid down a plastic bag until I could find a more permanent solution.

A cheap one.

I wanted a dish drainer. You know, the plastic thing that’s sloped and looks all pretty that you set underneath a dish drying rack. The problem was that my shelf wasn’t deep enough to hold one of those. Plus, they were about $6. Not quite as cheap as I was hoping.

So I had to improvise.

I went to the auto department. They have super cheap floor mats that are also super flimsy. They were not what I would choose to go in my car, but for this they were perfect. And they were $1.88.

It was still a little deep for the shelf, but being all thin and flimsy, I just measured and cut it off with a pair of scissors.

Fits like a glove.DSC03476Now I can just wash the mat when it gets all goopy and not have to scrape the stuff off the shelf continuously.

It works for me.DSC03482Head on over to We Are THAT Family for more Works-For-Me-Wednesday tips!

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Curly3:02 PM

    Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh...you could even wash the mat in the washer and then you wouldn't have to add soap to that load of laundry!

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put a towel under my laundry soap and I throw it in the wash when it needs to be cleaned. This too is an excellent idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete