Monday, January 05, 2009

We've Come to the End of Our Broadcast Day...

Remember when TV stations used to shut down for the night and you'd get the magic rainbow of bars or just snow?

Yeah, I'm showing my age here, because most TV stations now just switch over to infomercials, giving you the opportunity to purchase the most amazing weed wacker, air purifier, or knives you've ever seen.

Apparently I've watched a lot of infomercials over the last year. I suppose having a baby to feed in the middle of the night will do that for you. Thank goodness that's over.

But I digress.

When the TV station would get ready to sign off, there would usually be some sort of notification, stating they were going off the air until the morning. And then came the lovely screeching sound, accompanied by the rainbow of bars. I can still hear it.

Today I sort of feel like the TV station. I'm ready to end this broadcast day and start over tomorrow.

It's been a crazy few weeks. C was sick while we traveled for Christmas, we got home and he finally got back to himself. But that was just in time for the craziness of a wedding to kick in. And since we re-listed our house this week, of course we had to show it on Saturday, the one day I was hoping would be a day of nothingness and rest.

Not that I'm complaining. We had a great Christmas, C is none the worse for wear, the wedding was wonderful and lots of fun, and you have to show a house to sell it. But I'm weary.

And today it really hit me. I could hardly drag myself out of bed. I was wishing I could take a nap during church; which probably wouldn't have been good at all. So I settled for coming home after church and slipping into my pajamas in preparation for a nice, long nap.

Yeah, that didn't happen either.

Why is it that a girl can't just sign off with some canned little message, throw up a sign, and have everybody leave her alone for a while?

Oh that's right...because I'm the Mom, and sometimes only Mom can do/fix it.

I was reminded of that tonight when C tumbled out of his wagon and bumped his head. Husband picked him up to comfort him, holding him close, checking out his noggin. Sure, C was grateful that his Daddy was there for him, but that's not who he really wanted. He wanted me.

And as soon as I held him for about 3.7 seconds, C was ready to go play with Daddy again. He's a quick healer, that boy.

So since I can't sign off for a while, I'm ready for things to get back to normal, whatever that really means. I'm ready for schedules to be back in place, the days of the week to mean something, and for goodness sake, I'm ready for my TV shows to be back on in the evenings so I have a reason to plop myself down and be still for a while.

Apparently I'm not very good at being still unless I have something to do while I'm doing nothing.

So I'm looking forward to this week.

Because this girl needs to get back to her regularly scheduled program. Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry that you inherited my affliction...the "not good at being still unless I have something to do while I'm doing nothing" affliction. I am pretty sure that is a "hard-wired" disorder(?) personality trait (?)

    And I can't believe you remember the television sign-off...I was a terrible parent letting you stay up so late. I am sure you remember the sign-off for the PBS Arkansas station...they played that song about Arkansas. You can probably sing the words...I can just barely remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that you inherited my affliction...the "not good at being still unless I have something to do while I'm doing nothing" affliction. I am pretty sure that is a "hard-wired" disorder(?) personality trait (?)

    And I can't believe you remember the television sign-off...I was a terrible parent letting you stay up so late. I am sure you remember the sign-off for the PBS Arkansas station...they played that song about Arkansas. You can probably sing the words...I can just barely remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:05 AM

    I share that affliction.

    ReplyDelete