Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Green Beans

I decided to forego the "all orange" vegetable rule and move Chickster on to green beans next. I determined that his little nose and cheeks were orange enough for my taste, and we'd let them get back to normal with a few green bean days before we move on to squash.

Green beans are a pretty subjective vegetable. There are about as many ways to fix them as there are hairs on your head. Personally, I like my green beans still a little crisp. Husband prefers his cooked to a fine mushy state. But everyone knows the best way to have green beans is with bacon and brown sugar. However, I think at that point they cease to qualify as a vegetable. They also give up their vegetable classification if put into any type of cassarole. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Chickster didn't care for his green beans today. Of course, I didn't add any bacon to them, so who can blame him? I'm sure he'll grow to like them, just like he did the carrots. And if not, that's ok. I don't think I liked green beans as a kid...I think that's one of the things you have to despise in order to actually qualify as a kid.
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Love the picture! That made my day. Can't wait to see ya'll in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, if Chickster got any of his aunt's genes he might HATE green beans! Once Hobbit switched from paste green beans to the real thing the WAR was on!

    I am not a creative cook so green beans is a staple meal time vegetable at our house. You can count on having them at least once a week. And for a season there was a terrible scene that usually lasted through the night and into the next day until Hobbit consumed the required number of green beans.

    I would just like to say that it does not hurt to force a child to eat green beans. Hobbit did proceed to "yak" up her food a time or two in protest...but I was undaunted.

    The battle was long and hard fought, by both sides. Today Hobbitt eats her green beans without yakking and complaining. Don't know that she likes them particularly, but she knows when she's licked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! I forgot to use the more recent name for Hobbit - Trump. Sorry. I can barely call the kids by the names that I chose to give them, much less keep their alter identities straight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that where "Bosshopper" first made its appearance?

    (For those of you outside the family, "Bosshopper" was the name given to the seasoned salt my siblings and I preferred on our vegetables, especially green beans.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:52 AM

    I remember getting multiple spankings over not wanting to eat my green beans. The Bosshopper was good on them, but I also used the "douse with Ketchup" method. That also works well for purple hull peas!

    ReplyDelete